Veterinary Dentistry in Saugus
Improving Your Pet’s Oral Health
In addition to screening for tooth and gum health – including tooth decay and periodontal disease – during your pet’s wellness visits, our veterinarians provide comprehensive dental care in our practice’s dental treatment suite.
Our state-of-the-art suite is equipped with the latest pet dental technology, including digital dental radiography and specialized veterinary dental technology. All our veterinarians have completed advanced training and are highly experienced in practicing veterinary dentistry.
Call (781) 570-5751 or contact us online to schedule a dental check-up for your pet.
The Importance of Regular Dental Check-Ups
Just as you go to the dentist once or twice a year, your pets must also receive regular dental examinations. Periodontal disease is the most common disease in dogs and one of the most common diseases in cats. The risk of your pet developing tooth and gum problems can be significantly reduced by establishing good habits year-round at home.
While it is helpful to brush your pet’s teeth, periodic brushing is not enough to ensure full dental health. We are happy to partner with our clients to develop a plan that works well for pets and their caregivers.
Some aspects of dental health that you can apply at home include:
- Frequent tooth-brushing
- Dental treats
- Water additives that can enhance oral health
- Awareness of dangerous dental signs and symptoms
Oral Health Assessment & Treatment
Periodontal disease in cats and dogs develops in stages. When diagnosed and treated in the earliest stages, permanent damage to your pet’s teeth and gums can be avoided or minimized. In later stages, periodontal disease leads to bone and tissue loss as well as infection. More intensive treatment is needed to manage advanced disease to make your pet comfortable.
The dental services available at Saugus Animal Hospital include a comprehensive oral health assessment and treatment, commonly referred to as a dental cleaning. For your pet’s comfort and safety, dental procedures are performed under general anesthesia, adhering to the same strict safety and pain-management protocols on which we insist for surgical procedures.
- Pre-treatment blood testing to ensure your pet is healthy enough to receive the procedure
- An intravenous catheter to keep your pet well hydrated and maintain a normal blood pressure
- Continuous monitoring by a technician
- Medications before, during, and after the procedure to keep your pet relaxed and comfortable
Our veterinary dentists in Saugus are thorough yet gentle when checking and cleaning your pet’s teeth. We complete the process efficiently without compromising the quality of our services.
Dental cleaning procedures involve:
- Removing all the plaque and tartar from tooth surfaces and deposits under the gum line
- A thorough evaluation of every tooth to determine if repair or extraction is necessary
- X-rays to identify disease hidden below the gum line
- Polishing to help prevent new plaque and tartar from forming
- Recording the condition of your pet’s teeth in his/her chart so we can monitor progress
- Extractions when necessary
When the procedure is complete, we will show you before and after pictures and work with you to develop a home dental plan customized for your pet’s individual needs.
Contact us at (781) 570-5751 to schedule a pet dental cleaning in Saugus.
“Everyone is so friendly and professional. Dr. Binder is the best vet ever.”- Leesa B.
“He was so gentle and comfortable with my dog that he wasn’t even shaking, which he usually does at these visits.”- Annette B.
“I have always been treated with care and kindness and most of all my Lucas gets the best from Dr.Binder and his staff. Thank you so much for caring for me and Lucas.”- Felicia D.